01 June 2010

Foreign Flick of the Week

This posting is a little late since Monday was a holiday for us and I really didn't do much except lounge with my friend and her family in Jersey.  It was nice to get out of the city for a change.  I've been working six days a week so it was a welcomed mini-vacation from NY.

Description:  Based on a novel by Julia Alvarez and inspired by the true story of the three Mirabel sisters who were murdered, in 1960, for their part in an underground plot to overthrow the dictatorship of General Trujillo in the Dominican Republic.


2 comments:

  1. I learned about these 3 sisters from the book 'The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao.' I definitley recommend this book for more insight into this time period of D.R.'s history.

    Can't wait to check out this film later. It would be nice to get a little review from you first though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous04 June, 2010

    Interesting, I think I will look into reading the book. I agree, next time I will post a review of the movie as well.

    ReplyDelete