17 January 2009

Microsoft Tag

I was checking my e-mail and Papa Yao had sent me this video promoting the new Microsoft Tag.  I thought it was kind of nifty so I decided to download it to my phone and test it out.

It basically reads these unique barcodes that are printed on various advertising materials and then it just brings you their website via the WAP on your phone's browser.  Only requirements are that you need to have a camera and browsing capability on your phone/smartphone.  I think a smartphone device might work better than a regular cell phone, I'll test it on my RAZR as well to see if it works as well. 

Here is shot of the barcode I created for my blog.  If you download the software on your mobile device and try it on here it will bring you to my blog page.  How cool is that?



Here's a link to the site if y'all are interested...  http://www.microsoft.com/tag/




2 comments:

  1. NeoMedia Technologies grandfathered this technology back in the mid 90’s and have been doing mobile code scanning long before any other company in this space.

    NeoMedia has a rich patent portfolio that covers scanning barcodes with a camera enabled mobile device to connect to the Internet, comparison shop, and/or retrieve online content.

    http://www.neom.com/13.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thanks for the info. I'll certainly check it out. I'm relatively naive when it comes to these things.

    ReplyDelete